Tuesday, January 18, 2011

It's Tuesday! Time for Another Tutorial!

Sherry is a friend I came to know over the holidays while participating in the Countdown to Christmas Matchbox Swap at A Swap for All Seasons. Her blog, Sherry's Simple Blog, is anything but simple. It's LOADED with one amazing mixed media project after another. She recently introduced me to an altered matchbox flickr group that I can't wait to swap in. (Scroll down a few posts when you visit. She has a couple of very special boxes featured in recent posts.) But I digress...
I was so excited when Sherry offered a tutorial and even more excited when I saw what it was. I've been dying to try fabric collage-even gifted myself with an inexpensive Singer this past Christmas so I could give it a whirl (have never sewed in my life). Now here's the inspiration, and instruction I need. I'm pleased to share with you,
Sherry's Fabric Collage Tutorial
Start off with the cross stitched cottage
Cut a rectangle of cotton for the baseand re-inforce it with something sturdy - I had this roll of strong hessian type stuff which was ideal.
Machine stitch the hessian strips onto the cotton base (sorry the photos are a bit dark)


I machine stitched up and down each row and top and bottom, this is what the back looked like when I'd finished.
Stitch a narrow edging of lace around all four sides

At this point I machine stitched a handwritten label on the back

That's the base done, now to start decorating the top.
I decided to use some paper - sheet music and aged it around the edges with Distress Ink.
The next stage is the most time consuming, but also the most fun - sorting out what layers to use. I laid the various lace and fabrics onto the base before stitching anything down to get a rough idea of what it'd look like.
When happy with it, start stitching!
I coloured a bright white lace flower from a curtain edging (thanks Mum!) with Distress Inks so it blended in better.
I also added a few beads to the cross stitching, a vintage button for the centre of the flower, some hanging beads at the bottom and a horseshoe for good luck at the top right hand corner.
I gave it a simple hanger of twine (braided three lengths together and knotted them at the back).
Here's what the finished back looks like.

I attached rusty keys to the first two fabric collages

Beautiful, aren't they? And these are Sherry's first fabric collages ever!!!!!
Many thanks to Sherry for being this weeks guest artist. If you have some technique, craft, project, anything you'd like to share, click HERE to learn how.
I can give you a hint about next Tuesdays tutorial-think Valentines.

13 comments:

Daniele said...

lovely hanging....ages since I did any cross stitching
hugs

Sherry said...

Thanks for featuring my tutorial Joanne - I'll add your badge to my sidebar xx

Wendy Aspinall said...

OH another wonderful tutorial ... How can I live up to all this talent....LOL and I had lots of cross stitching and didn't know what to do with it ..and know I know thank for the ideas

Marie Lost Bird Studio said...

Hi Joanne,
thanks for the tutorial! lovely hanging - love all the layering.
Have a wonderful day.
XO Marie

Jan Hennings said...

WOW! This is gorgeous and what a beautiful cross stitch piece :)

Terry said...

I remember this when Sherry posted and it is gorgeous! Love the tutorial!

Mrs A. said...

Love the tutorial. Sherry always makes such wonderful projects.

Angela said...

Sherry's collage is spectacular! I adore it! Thanks for sharing her tutorial! I'm looking forward to next week's tute!
Angela

Anonymous said...

Wonderful tutorial! Thank you.

Jill Marcott-McCall ~Feathers & Flight~ said...

Oh My Goodness Joanne! These are Gorgeous! This can't be her First Effort!!! Thank you for Sharing these with us!
Hope you are Keeping Warm!
Happy Thursday almost Friday!
Hugs
Jill
PS Love the New Look!! Beautiful!

Sugar Lump Studios said...

this is just darling! I love the little cottage! It has been forever since I cross stitched anything -but seeing these makes me want to pick up a needle and some DMC floss! :)

Lynn Stevens said...

Its gorgeous! a great tutorial too!

Jast Vape said...

This is a website that sells natural dog food. Not only can you buy it here, but you can also buy discount pet supplies and reward your pet for good behavior. Your pet will be happy to cuddle with you.Not only is there natural balance dog food,there are dry dog food to choose from,and you can definitely buy the best and most suitable pet prescription for your pet.