Friday, August 10, 2012

Altered Marie

In our Marie Antoinette Mail Art Group we were partnered for an altered matchbox and domino swap. The matchbox was to be jeweled and the domino had to have a Marie image.
I recently acquired two exquisite estate pieces that were meant for this swap.
After covering the box with an aqua damask I bound it with aqua tulle and seam binding.
I accented the antique ornate baroque style pendant frame with aqua and teal beads and bling. On top of that piece I attached the fabulously shabby fleur de lis embedded with aqua stones.
I pinned them so they could be detached and used otherwise if my partner, Melanie, chose to do so.

I couldn't find anything aqua that I liked for the domino so I switched the color palette to blues and pinks, collaging a young Marie atop an Eiffel Tower background. I gave Marie wings lightly edged with glitter and a crown fashioned out of metal and beads.
The edges are finished with tiny baby blue bling chips.

The sides of the domino were covered with layers of pink and blue dresden trim.
Sometimes the easiest finishing touches are the prettiest!

The domino gets tucked inside the matchbox for giving...
...creating for a partner is always joyful!

And equally joyful is having a partner who clearly enjoyed creating for me. I was thrilled to be partners with the lovely and extremely talented swap hostess, Melanie.
Look at this stunning jewel encrusted matchbox I received!

And Melanie didn't stop with the top of the box.
The sides are embellished just as beautifully.

I love the domino, with the coordinating gold filigree alongside a regal blue Marie.

Merci Melanie....ces't magnifique!

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh such beautiful masterpieces!!!! I LOVE the colouring in each! SO much talent around! :D

Hugs,

Something Special said...

I love the Marie Antoinette items. Always pretty things here my friend!

MISS PEACH ~(^.^)~ said...

Breathtaking....yours and one the one from your partner...I adore the tiny matchboxes more than the bigger ones! Just a wonderful swap you had there...

Dorthe said...

JoAnne, your box is stunning, and love the Marie domino.
The beauty you recieved back, is a gorgeous work,too.
xox,Dorthe

Marti McClure said...

Hi JoAnn, Your matchbox is wonderful and the domino is fabulous! I'm sure Melanie will love it, and aren't you lucky to receive such a beautiful gem from her. This had been such a fun swap. ~Marti

Lynn Stevens said...

Both are equally beautiful. You two were partnered perfectly!

Thanks so much for posting my badge.
Now I need to get busy and post everyone else's!If I can only figure out how to go to a three column without losing everything!!! LOL
hugs Lynn

Ivy said...

Both are so beautiful!

Linda said...

your art is always a joy to see. looks like both of you were winners for this swap.

Martina said...

I enjoyed looking at this beautiful work here, JoAnne! Gorgeous art!

Anonymous said...

Gasp! You both are very lucky ladies. Oh my goodness JoAnne, everything is truly stunning. A wonderful pairing. Hugs, Mina

Unknown said...

Just so Beautiful! That Fleur pin is georgous!!! What a find, just stunning!

Sugar Lump Studios said...

so pretty! I love the soft delicate colors.

A Magical Whimsy said...

These Marie Antoinette altered domino books are so beautiful!
What a fun and charming swap.
Teresa in California
http://amagicalwhimsy.blogspot.com/